Outsourcing development has become a popular trend in the software industry.
However, it is important to ensure that outsourced software is developed in a secure and compliant manner.
To achieve this, it is crucial to have controls in place that help mitigate risks associated with outsourced software development.
A.14.2.7 of the ISO 27001 standard outlines the requirements for outsourcing development.
This article will discuss the importance of A.14.2.7, sample checklists to ensure compliance, and the benefits of outsourcing development while adhering to the standard.
- Review the licensing arrangements, code ownership, and intellectual property rights related to the outsourced content. It is essential to ensure that the software being developed is not a copy of existing software or that the intellectual property rights are not infringed upon.
- Check contractual requirements for secure design, coding, and testing practices. Ensure that the outsourced team is following secure development methods and is protecting the specifications, designs, test data, test cases, and test results.
- Ensure that there are escrow arrangements in place. These arrangements should ensure that access to the source code is available if executable code needs to be modified, and the supplier is no longer available or capable.
- Verify that the outsourced team has application security testing controls and test results. Testing is crucial to ensure that the software is secure and compliant.
- Ensure that there are vulnerability assessment and mitigation controls in place. These controls should be designed to identify and mitigate vulnerabilities.
- Benefits of Outsourcing Development While Adhering to A.14.2.7:
- Improved Software Quality: By adhering to the standard, the software developed will have better quality as it will go through rigorous testing and review processes. This will help in reducing software bugs and improving the software’s overall quality.
- Cost-Effective: Outsourcing development is generally cost-effective as it eliminates the need for in-house development teams. It also helps to reduce the cost of software development and maintenance.
- Increased Focus on Core Business: Outsourcing development allows businesses to focus on their core business. By outsourcing development, businesses can allocate resources to areas that are more critical to the organization.
Outsourcing development can be beneficial for businesses as it can help reduce the cost of software development and maintenance.
However, it is crucial to ensure that outsourced software is developed in a secure and compliant manner.
A.14.2.7 of the ISO 27001 standard outlines the requirements for outsourcing development, and businesses should ensure that they adhere to these requirements.
By doing so, they can ensure that the software developed is of high quality, cost-effective, and helps the organization focus on their core business.