Logging and monitoring are critical components of an organization’s cybersecurity posture.
It is necessary to ensure that the administrator and operator logs are appropriately maintained, monitored, and reviewed to detect any suspicious activities that might cause harm to an organization’s IT infrastructure.
The ISO 27001 standard provides guidelines to ensure that the administrator and operator logs are protected, maintained and reviewed regularly.
This article will discuss ISO 27001 control A.12.4.3 concerning administrator and operator logs, including policies, procedures, practices, and associated records.
- Are there clear policies, procedures, and guidelines in place for the collection, storage, and monitoring of administrator and operator logs?
- Do the policies and procedures adequately cover security arrangements to limit the ability of privileged administrators and operators to interfere with the logs or logging arrangements?
- Are the logs collected, stored, and secured in a manner consistent with the organization’s information security policies and procedures?
- Are the logs analyzed and monitored regularly to detect any suspicious activities that may indicate a security breach?
- Are the logs archived for forensic analysis, and if so, are they securely stored and protected?
- Are there any issues with the current log management practices that need to be addressed?
- Are there any opportunities for improvement in the current log management practices?
ISO 27001 control A.12.4.3 provides guidelines for the proper management of administrator and operator logs.
It is essential to have policies, procedures, and guidelines in place to collect, store, and monitor logs to detect any suspicious activities that might pose a security threat.
The logs must be analyzed and monitored regularly and archived securely for forensic analysis.
By following the ISO 27001 standard, organizations can improve their log management practices, minimize security risks, and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of their information.